Using Empathy To Embrace Your Inner Deanna Troi



Acting without thinking of the other person can get a lot of us in trouble!

Being the mother of a child with severe ADHD can be very stressful, frustrating and exhausting. It’s lots of not listening, some random ticks and so much impulsivity. There were nights that I felt like I couldn’t see how we’d get through it. 

I used to lose my temper all the time. That was before I realized I was only thinking of myself. What was Sammy thinking, feeling, wanting?! What if I do like I tell her, and think before I act. 

Think about what she was thinking, feeling, and what she struggles with. There are times when I still lose my cool lol, but I’ve slowed down myself down to think of what an 8-year-old with ADHD kid might be experiencing. 

Deanna Troi’s Betazoid powers allow her to feel what others feel. This power has caused her great struggle but also has aided her with her work for the Enterprise. She’s amazing at helping Picard negotiate with diplomatic matters, and is a caring and powerful friend and therapist. 

Do you stop and think of the other person before you act?

Comments

Popular Posts