What I Thought My Parents Got Divorced



As kids we perceive things so much differently than when we become adults!

⁣I remember being a kid completely confused as to why my Mother and I were leaving our house. I was too young to understand the dynamics of my father’s verbal abuse and my Mom and the fact that she was developing Fibromyalgia. I just knew they argued a lot and I was often in the middle of it. So when they told me that they were not going to live together anymore I, of course, thought I was the cause of their unhappiness. Not so much that the divorce was my fault but that their unhappiness stemmed from having each other in their lives and that would continue because of me. ⁣

Every time they were in the same room they argued and they were only in the same room because of me. Situations like that lessened as my Mom got sicker and started to become housebound. But still, when I was with the other parent  I would hear negative things about my other parent. It wasn’t until I grew up that I learned that it was because my parents had inner struggles within themselves. They couldn’t hide those demons in front of me so I always had the feeling of them being unhappy. This is something I am very aware to try not to do in front of my kiddos. Granted I’m human but I always take the time to make my babies feel appreciated and think of how my words would sound to them no matter what I am talking about. ⁣

Luna Lovegood often hears others talk about her, tease her and try to tear her down as if she wasn’t in the room. It’s impossible for the words of others to never hurt, but because of her strong self-love she is able to more times than not fight through their insecurities and allow her own strengths to shine through!⁣

Do you stop and think about how your children here or understand what you say or how you say it?⁣

Comments

Popular Posts