Embracing My Geekiness


I grew up loving sci-fi and fantasy.
I would dream of being in these fantastical worlds all through my childhood and adult years. I would watch shows, be invested in movies, and just loved the culture that surrounded these amazing fandoms. But this amazing part about myself I would keep hidden or toned down for those around me. See I was afraid of what others would think of me and my passion for the geek life. I was scared that some of the people in my life would leave or tell me I was stupid. 
Things changed when myself love started to bloom, and yes that didn’t happen until I had Owen. I remember we went back over the in-laws one day to visit after we had moved out. My MIL mentioned that I was wearing a Batman shirt. She said that she had no idea that I loved comics. I know almost every friend in high school had no idea I had such love for the fandoms. But that has all changed. I learned that if people don’t care about what I care about maybe they aren’t people I need in my life. So today I openly and proudly expression my geek passion to those in my life and on the internet!
Daenerys Targaryen is not afraid to be Herself around anyone. She is proud of her unique qualities, that has made her the Queen of Dragons. She once hid her true spirit in a weak timid shell, but when she was reborn in fire, she became Khaleesi and is now fighting for the Iron Throne! She hides her beauty and power no more for she is of fire!
Do you hide a side of yourself from those around you in fear of the being liked?

Comments

Popular Posts