Learning Self Confidence From Pikachu


I was the oldest person in the room, besides my teacher.
I remember sitting down during my first day at class and seeing all these “adult” kids staring at me. There I am a 36 woman with 2 kids, in a class full of 18-21-year-olds. Ya the thought of, oh gosh bet these kids think I nuts, went through my head. But I pushed those words aside. Thoughts like those wouldn’t serve me here. I started to wonder if could I do this? I mean what if I sucked but then I had to remember that if I just do the best I could, there’s no way I could fail myself! 
The teacher started to go over the themes we would study this semester and what she expected out of us. She had 4 projects for us to do throughout the class dealing with themes seen in art. Body and Identity were our first two. We would have to come up with a project personal to our lives dealing with one or both of those themes. The medium was of our choosing. That’s when it clicked! I had the advantage here! I had so much life experience that I was able to draw from! This quickly became one of my favorite class. I was able to share what I had learned in my life through my art projects. It was a bonus I was able to discuss it with these young adults. I was able to show myself that my age had no factor in my ability to shine in school again! My success in school was solely dependent on my belief in myself! 
Pikachu is also a character of great self-belief. This little unevolved Pokemon has stood up to some of the most powerful creatures the universe has known. His unrelenting love for his trainer, Ash, allows him to face his enemies and fight in even the hardest circumstances!
What is one circumstance when you proved to yourself how much potential you have?

Comments

Popular Posts