Becoming My Own Batwoman By Allowing Others to Help Me



I was so stupidly proud. ⁣

I would refuse to ask for help as a young adult. Nope, if I couldn’t do something on my own I would let myself fail. I would rather fail then admit I needed the support from someone I trusted. I think I developed this mindset from my father. He was legally blind, with a herniated disc, and type 1 Diabetes, and was stubborn as hell. He would refuse to ask for help unless it was absolutely necessary. In the last years of his life, he had become a hermit and hoarder. He refused to have people come in and clean his house. I even tried to have social services come in and help him clean his house out but because he was sound mentally nothing could be done without his consent. When it came to endangering his independence my father would crawl on his floors because he was in so much pain and couldn't see a path in his clutter than ask for assistance.⁣

With this mindset growing up I found it hard to admit where I had a weakness. In doing so I was keeping myself from being able to learn from those who were more experienced and may have been able to teach me better and quicker ways of doing things. Asking for help isn’t a sign of lacking, it’s a sign of strength! The fact that you’re willing to admit you need support. This is the mindset that I now hold. Don’t get me wrong, I still pride myself on the things I am able to do on my own, but I do not sacrifice my goals if someone can help me reach them that much faster!⁣

Batwoman also learned this lesson. She didn’t realize that she had the potential to grow as a person and become a great hero. It wasn't until she got help from Batman that she saw how much more her life could be. After he saved her life Kate started to look into becoming a superhero herself! She started to use her military knowledge and training to become Batwoman!⁣

Have you rejected help from others because of pride?

Comments

Popular Posts